DIY Burt’s Bees Lip Balm
- 2 TBS beeswax pastilles
- 2 TBS Shea butter
- 2 TBS hard virgin coconut oil
- 4 cocoa butter wafers
- 2 drops vitamin E
- Small drop of liquid lanolin
- doTERRA Essential Oil (optional)
- Melt beeswax, shea butter, wafers and coconut oil in a double boiler or small glass bowl over a small pot of boiling water, stirring constantly until melted. Add vitamin E and lanolin.
- Remove pan from heat but keep over the still-hot water to keep the mixture melted.
- Add essential oils to your preference. I just added peppermint in this recipe. I recommend adding a few drops at a time and testing a tiny amount on your arm to make sure the scent is to your liking. I also like wild orange and peppermint ones 😉
- Once you’ve added the essential oils, use the pipette or a dropper to fill the lip balm tubes. This must be done quickly since the mixture will start to harden as soon as it is removed from the heat.
- Let tubes sit at room temperature for several hours until cooled and completely hardened before capping them.
Use an extra teaspoon or two of beeswax if you prefer a thicker and longer-lasting lip balm or slightly less if you prefer a smoother and softer lip balm. Since there are no water based ingredients, you can re-melt and add more of each ingredient during the melting process until you get the exact texture you want. When experimenting, I’ve put a few drops of the melted mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and let harden in the fridge so I could test it before putting the mixture into tubes. Have fun with it! This makes 12-14 tubes.
Contributed by Maree Cottam